• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

A really bad experience with Wish.com (and PayPal)

I recently purchased an "AR" styled sniper buttstock from Wish.com. It was a Chinese clone of a much more expensive piece of gear for a fraction of the cost. It didn't last more than a few hours and I contacted Wish to return it. They sent me return instructions and I returned the item at my expense. Weeks went by and I never got a refund so I sent another email to Wish but never got a reply. I had used PayPal to make the purchase so I filed a dispute with them. I included a copy of the shipping label, proof of delivery, and a copy of Wish's returns / refunds policy in my dispute. A month went by and I just got word from PayPal that my dispute was denied because my purchase wasn't protected under their buyer protection program (huh?). I also filed a dispute with my credit card company so there's still a chance I'll get my money back. In the future I won't be purchasing anything from Wish and will be -extremely- careful when dealing with PayPal.

Sorry to hear that @Stretch
Hopefully your CC company will come through
I'm curious!
What was PayPal's reason for saying your purchase was not notprotected?
Edward
The only reason they gave was that the purchase "wasn't covered under PayPal's buyer's protection policy". I now understand why some people refuse to use PayPal.

Sorry to hear that Stretch.

Yeah, I've had PayPal tell me to go F myself too. Even Ebay has, with their "money back guarantee " BS. It's all about the dollar, and they want every last one of them. We're small fish in a big pond, and there will always be more fish.
Well, we do have other courses of action that we can take. Two that I've taken in the past include filing complaints with both the Better Business Bureau and the state attorney general's office. We may be small fish, but if enough small fish take action even the big whales have to obey the law.

The BBB is basically a mob. Give us money, or we'll make you look bad or try and hide your advertising.

As for the state AG, that's about the only way things will get done. Problem is, most people get screwed on small purchases and just go well F me, and move on. PayPal know how to play the game to keep their money. You get duped out of a few grand, they don't just brush it aside usually. A $30 part for a gun(which they hate) coming from China, they don't care.

My wife and I closed all our PayPal accounts last fall. Now, when I pay for something that requires PayPal I choose the option to pay as a guest using my credit card and make sure I uncheck the "Create a PayPal Account" (something like that) button. It takes a few seconds longer, but is worth it to me. I always use my Discover card when doing this. Discover has never denied a single chargeback or refund I have asked for in the last 20 years as there is always a valid reason when I request one. This has worked with Aliexpress, much to the frustration and dismay of the sellers who refused to make things right with defective merchandise. If they want the defective merchandise back, I tell them to send me a prepaid shipping envelope.

My wife and I closed all our PayPal accounts last fall. Now, when I pay for something that requires PayPal I choose the option to pay as a guest using my credit card and make sure I uncheck the "Create a PayPal Account" (something like that) button. It takes a few seconds longer, but is worth it to me. I always use my Discover card when doing this. Discover has never denied a single chargeback or refund I have asked for in the last 20 years as there is always a valid reason when I request one. This has worked with Aliexpress, much to the frustration and dismay of the sellers who refused to make things right with defective merchandise. If they want the defective merchandise back, I tell them to send me a prepaid shipping envelope.

That's not a bad idea. I've stopped paying with PayPal where ever possible, but what about buying from someone here on the forums? Or selling? Listing something for sale and not taking PayPal is almost impossible.

That's not a bad idea. I've stopped paying with PayPal where ever possible, but what about buying from someone here on the forums? Or selling? Listing something for sale and not taking PayPal is almost impossible.
I hear ya on the PayPal thing. Offer to sell for a PMO, ive had several buyers use them and no negatives yet. Just make sure they are a good member first. If the check doesn't show up, you don't ship the item.
Don't do personal checks either from New members or low feedback. They can cancel the check unless you drop it in the bank before shipping.

I hear ya on the PayPal thing. Offer to sell for a PMO, ive had several buyers use them and no negatives yet. Just make sure they are a good member first. If the check doesn't show up, you don't ship the item.
Don't do personal checks either from New members or low feedback. They can cancel the check unless you drop it in the bank before shipping.

Is there another on-line payment system that's better than PayPal? I see some people take "Venmo" which I've never tried.

I recently purchased an "AR" styled sniper buttstock from Wish.com. It was a Chinese clone of a much more expensive piece of gear for a fraction of the cost. It didn't last more than a few hours and I contacted Wish to return it. They sent me return instructions and I returned the item at my expense. Weeks went by and I never got a refund so I sent another email to Wish but never got a reply. I had used PayPal to make the purchase so I filed a dispute with them. I included a copy of the shipping label, proof of delivery, and a copy of Wish's returns / refunds policy in my dispute. A month went by and I just got word from PayPal that my dispute was denied because my purchase wasn't protected under their buyer protection program (huh?). I also filed a dispute with my credit card company so there's still a chance I'll get my money back. In the future I won't be purchasing anything from Wish and will be -extremely- careful when dealing with PayPal.
I fired PayPal after they stole $20 from a F&F transaction.

Stretch, I have always paid with USPS money order. Noone has minded. I only accept them as payment. It's probably the most secure form of payment I can think of. I always have the buyer send a photo of the FILLED OUT money order and recipe. In ink. Once filled out, the buyer can not redeem it. It now my cash. It has various security marking as well as water marks. It has a serial number that is in the data base as well as a web site searchable by serial number. If for some reason you don't get it, the USPS will charge you $10 to have their " Money Order lawyer go after it. If I mobile deposit or ATM deposit, a partial hold is put on the funds. If I deposit in person, it is treated as a cash deposit, fully credited to my account. If you buy with it and don't get your item, pay the $10. They will find where it was cashed or deposited. Bill and Addi

Zelle is the only electronic payment method I will accept now as a seller after way too many problems with Venmo and PayPal. I will also take US Postal Service Money Orders.

I just discovered that Gunbroker won't let sellers list Zelle, Venmo, PayPal Friends and Family (Now called Send to a friend?) as a payment option, but I think they will allow regular PayPal. That is disappointing as Zelle is probably the best e-payment option out there for sellers, with no ties at all to PayPal. It is instant and totally free and almost impossible to have the payment returned, so it has great protection for the SELLER but none for the Buyer. Of course Zelle is no different than sending someone an envelope full of cash, so you definitely need to know who you are dealing with as the buyer. I have seen problems with Escrow services as well. The problem isn't so much the payment method but rather the people committing the fraud and they are going to find a way to rip people off regardless.

The text below is from this link on Gunbroker.

GunBroker.com preferred payment methods are Credit Cards and USPS Money Order. We prohibit using Venmo, Zelle, Cash App, Google Pay, Apple Pay, PayPal Friends and Family (PPFF), or any person-to-person cash payment application. The Buyer Protection Program (BPP) will not cover payments made with these applications.

Reactions: Stretch