• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A question for FX Dreamline owners.

Hi all,i got a Dreamline Clasiic recently,used in like new condition and had a question.

First i should say the gun is very accurate with JSB 18.13,15.89 and even more so with AA 18s and i get 50 shots before dropping off reg.

It is a .22 caliber and it has the power plenum.Hammer spring has not been messed with it ,i can see the blue locktite has not been broken and the previous owner told me that he hadn't touched it.So the gun is all stock ,reg preassure as far as i can see is about 105-110 bar depending on gauge accuracy.

My question involves the TP wheeel,out of curiosity i checked the high-medium- low setting with JSB 18.13s and i got 896-896-606 average velocity.

I find it peculiar that there is absolutely no difference between high and medium settings,tried it twice with exactly the same results.

Any ideas as to why this is? I'm very curious.

Thanks,James.

With any PCP, air can only move as fast as the tightest spot in its path will allow. This could be the valve, transfer port, probe, ore something else. For example, if your valve is the tightest spot you can open the TP up as far as you want but at a certain point you wouldn’t see gains. Opening it too far can cause lower efficiency because it increases the dead air volume between the valve and back of the pellet. In your case, it looks like the medium setting is where you’d want to be. If you do some research, there are posts out there which go into far more detail. I believe there may be an article on this topic in the airgun technical series over at hard air magazine. 

Well i shot a bunch of groups with it when the wind died down late in the day.The guns shoots very good on both medium and high setting so im leaving it alone.

Its just disapointing the FX engineers would put a three setting adjustment on a gun and never verified that it actually does anything without the end user rebuilding it.

Thanks troubling, has others had this same problem?

Well i shot a bunch of groups with it when the wind died down late in the day.The guns shoots very good on both medium and high setting so im leaving it alone.

Its just disapointing the FX engineers would put a three setting adjustment on a gun and never verified that it actually does anything without the end user rebuilding it.

If you take out the TP adjustment mechanism the high port is actually larger than the .22 bore and the medium is about the size of your .22 bore. The high is there for 25-30 cal configurations so you won't see a different at 177 or 22 cal configuration. It's not physically possible to get more air because of the bore size! 

I have the same problem, I bought a Dreamtact Compact in .22. Decided I wanted to convert it to .177. Shooting over the chrony showed more FPS on medium than it did on high. I turned my reg down to 100 bar which made the high setting and the medium setting very close to the same. There was a pretty good drop off when I went to the low setting. My question is (qball) since I'm shooting .177 should I be using the "low" setting then increasing my reg pressure to get up to the speed I want to shoot? 

I have the same problem, I bought a Dreamtact Compact in .22. Decided I wanted to convert it to .177. Shooting over the chrony showed more FPS on medium than it did on high. I turned my reg down to 100 bar which made the high setting and the medium setting very close to the same. There was a pretty good drop off when I went to the low setting. My question is (qball) since I'm shooting .177 should I be using the "low" setting then increasing my reg pressure to get up to the speed I want to shoot?

The older Dreamline and Crowns had the Transfer Port settings marked as “Low”; “.177 .22”; and “.25 .30”. This is an indication of what they were originally intended for, and as qball points out above, the TP size roughly matched up to the (larger) bore size for each caliber group.

Also, one big difference between the Dreamtact and the Dreamline Classic is that they Dreamtact has a Hammer Spring adjuster (aka Power Wheel) whereas the Classic does not have this. The HS/PW adjuster allows you to more closely match your reg pressure, transfer port and Hammer to your desired pellet/speed combination. There is a complex interaction between all of these variables, which is why some people spend so much time tuning the guns to their specific needs.

My advice if you are converting to .177 would be to use the “Med” (or .177/.22”) setting on the TP and making the other adjustments to your hammer spring preload and Power wheel to get the speed/accuracy you want for any given reg pressure. The “Low” setting, in my experience, gives very low speeds at just about any reasonable reg pressure and is only for those wishing a low power (e.g. sub 12 ft lbs or similar) tune for their gun.

Chris

Dan,

I still agree with Chris - What issue?

He and qball have accurately described the design of the Dreamline. It is not a Crown or a Wolverine when it comes to power. Remember that it is an evolution of the Royale and Streamline - and it is a gun which does what it is designed to do, almost boringly so. They are accurate, smooth in function, and generally quite reliable.

A Dreamline will be more easily user tunable as compared to a Wolverine, and a little less (externally) tunable as compared to a Crown. And if the Dreamline gives you the power/muzzle velocity you need for accuracy, you don't need to worry about the fact that the valve and/or internal air channels may not be as large as those in some other guns.

The Dreamlines were designed and built by FX, to some extent, to meet a market price point. They are simpler guns and therefore are less expensive to produce. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this as they do the job (especially the new ones which come stock with the larger power plenum). I compare a gun like the Dreamline Classic (or GRS) to a gun like the Weihrauch HW100 - It is engineered and does the job well, but without a lot of flash.

The Wolverine you are thinking about would be an excellent gun with more power than a Dreamline, but also more weight and cost. And while I have personally found that Daystate takes the time to better optimize the tune of their guns before boxing up and shipping (as compared to FX), further personal tuning of the Daystate guns is not as simple (or external) as compared to the FX's. Non-electronic Daystates, in my experience, are best for shooters who wish to purchase and shoot as it comes out of the box. FX guns are more for those shooters who like to fiddle with their tuning.

I’ve been considering a Dreamline in .22. One thing that I really like about my Benjamin Cayden is the “continuously adjustable” transfer port adjustment knob. Does someone make aftermarket replacement transfer ports for the Dreamline - even if just three settings (hole sizes) that actually work on a .22 - so that you have a true high, medium and low power setting?

I’ve been considering a Dreamline in .22. One thing that I really like about my Benjamin Cayden is the “continuously adjustable” transfer port adjustment knob. Does someone make aftermarket replacement transfer ports for the Dreamline - even if just three settings (hole sizes) that actually work on a .22 - so that you have a true high, medium and low power setting?

Like to know also