• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A little trip down memory lane

Hey all, I'm not a regular contributor to the forum because I haven't had a rifle for a couple of years, so haven't really had anything to share. I do love looking in from time to time and seeing some really great content from you guys, so thank you all!

Bit of background: I'm from the UK, but moved to Australia early last year. My rifles were sold before I left (except for my HW95, which is still at my mum's house). It's a little more difficult to shoot here in Australia because of the firearms laws - and as somebody who's at the beginning of a new life chapter, I've had a few other priorities to line up first before I spend money on a rifle. However I was in New Zealand last week for work, and got chatting to a fellow airgun enthusiast, and that prompted me to find some old photos.

The rifles are - as I'm sure you can all tell
  • BSA R10. (.22) It's a Mk1, one of the first batch. It had to go back to BSA twice and was generally a pain in the neck, but once it was finally sorted out, it was a truly beautiful rifle. I wish I still had it, despite the hassle that it gave me. It's pictured with a Weihrauch moderator. I'd planned to get it shortened a little, because it was a bit of a fishing rod with the moderator fitted, but I never got around to it.
  • BSA Ultra s/s (.177) Completely bog standard (although a Weihrauch mod fitted to it). Deadly accurate little rifle, and great fun to use. Again, had plans to get it regulated, but life has a habit of getting in the way. I wasn't quite as attached to it as I was the R10, but in reality it was probably, pound for pound, the better rifle.
  • Weihrauch HW95 (.22) I've owned this since 1996, when I was 11 years old - and I've shot more with it than I probably ever will shoot anything else. A few years ago it had the Steve Pope V-Mach treatment, and it's a dream machine of a springer. I recently found out that it'll probably cost me around $800 to get it into Australia once my license is in place which is hard to take. I don't like the idea of selling it, so it'll probably just stay at my mum's place in the UK forever - and get used when I'm back. I'll be back in the UK for a month in December, so hopefully I'll be able to get out with it a few times then.

Thanks for looking. I can't wait to get back to it. The firearms laws here in Australia prevent the use of moderators - and even shrouded barrels, which is upsetting - as I definitely have my eye on a Wildcat eventually - and without the shroud and the suppressed muzzle report, it's a less attractive piece of hardware! I'll keep you updated.

*edited to correct typo

It sounds like the old HW95 is legal in AU. It'd be a shame not to have it and use it there, at home. Is there someone in the UK in your family that might treasure it?

I say bring it over, as your first airgun on THAT continent too!

Later on, if you sill have the desire, buy an AU-legal PCP gun there. 

Nice guns. I've always thought the R10 was beautiful; especially that stock shape. 

"Samuel"I'd definitely like to bring it here, that's for sure. Spending more than the cost of a new rifle to bring an old one in isn't very appealing to me - but I'm sure there must be a way to do it more cheaply. I'll look in a bit more detail.

Thanks for looking.
Maybe if you sent it in pieces, so that it was "pneumatic parts" or "mechanical parts" rather than a "__gun"?

Are you planning to stay in AU?
Can't you take it back with you when you go back home for a visit in Dec?

Surely there is a lower cost alternative to $800 just to get your own gun there..
As far as the moderator, just take it off and shoot without.

Looking at your pictures it always amazes me how many rabbits there are there in the UK, maybe because firearm ownership is so onerous and there are few hunters . . . Well lots of rabbits in AU as well. Brought to both from the US of A and considered a pest species in both, while we relish the chance to find one or two.

I am so lucky to live in a country where the citizens are mostly free to do what they want.

I am very much planning to stay here, yes. It's a little more complicated than just bringing the gun back with me - but that's the avenue I'm planning to go down.

The rabbit numbers in the UK are amazing. Here in Australia they talk about them being a major pest, but I've not seen anywhere near the numbers that I've experienced at home. I guess that's a bit due to the size of this place.

The rabbit was actually introduced to the UK by the Romans for meat, and then brought to Australia by European settlers (British, most likely) - the US of A played no part :)