• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A little too close for comfort…

This morning while at my shooting range, I decided to move one of our shooting benches.Basically a few cinder blocks with a piece of plywood and Trex decking on top. I was moving all the cinder blocks, grabbed the last one and as I did, watched this little guy strike and miss my hand by 4-5 inches. Ironically, my air tank was sitting right by him too and I had filled up twice before our encounter. Luckily he was a bad aim or I would have been screwed. He was done striking before I even knew what was going on. 

One of the pictures shows a wood stake pointing to where he was laying when I disturbed him. Too close for comfort and as close as I’ve ever been to getting nailed. The boys and I shoot from these benches at least two times a week and the smaller bench is usually where my youngest, Cooper sits. Almost always in flip flops!

Have a great weekend!

Stoti

6B4FE321-0C29-4137-B4BD-173CC398AFBC.1653686662.jpeg
DB4FD150-EC8F-415A-B4F4-E914E212E935.1653686673.jpeg
DAD0E831-95A2-4CAD-B3F9-6D6C710C693A.1653686685.jpeg
E07F3CB9-3942-4B24-BDD9-E022623B2DE7.1653686702.jpeg

501B3392-B1C9-4808-A0CE-427E6C962E11.1653686774.jpeg

Stoti! You are one blessed man! Boy....that was CLOSE! I'm sure glad it didn't connect...whew! When shade and shelter are found in an outdoor setting, critters look for it as it's hard to come by in the wild as most are already taken by something bigger and or meaner or they kick out or eat the residents or vice versa (I used to raise exotic critters, the first thing they do when put in a vivarium is look for shelter). Make sure to have your boys wear boots from now on.....you too! Luv your shooting tables.

Dang Kevin, that was close! 

My brother in law got tagged when he was young. He had to get air lifted to a hospital, spent 4 days there, and it cost almost $400k (before insurance).

Whenever we hike around here in Texas we always carry a "snake stick". Mostly for thrashing around, but also as a walking aid.

If we come across them when we're out and about they get a free pass, if they're on our property it's a different story. 😉

Glad you didn't get tagged!

Man, those kinda of encounters, of the worst kind, make you thankful everyday you wake up in one piece.

Gone on snake hunts, gathering hides and meat, but knew where and when we'd be playing Aces. The surprise visits, nothing can prepare you for those.

One time, I came across a large diamondback swimming across a lake in the Seirra's on a deer hunting trip, and the viper disappeared right into the single track I had to use to climb up the trail. Talk about living in the moment.

Glad you're here to tell the tale! 

I had a close call with a rattlesnake prairie dog hunting in South Dakota a few year ago, almost stepped on one setting my gear down on the ground. I wear gaitors, but those things make me nervous. And we hunt in the middle of no where. Weak cell phone reception, Probably an hour away from the freeway, and then another 1-2 hour drive to a town with a hospital. 

Glad you didn't get bit!

Way back when I was a very young lad, we lived in AZ. We had snake issues!! My dad used to spray something that they didnt like to keep them away, and yes it worked!! I was to young to know what it was, perhaps ammonia or something like that. I would look into something that can be sprayed in the area to keep them away. We moved back to OH when I was still young so I have no idea what it was, but I have heard of things that act as a deterent....you are one lucky man, perhaps you should pick up some lottery tickets!!

One eye on the flags, one eye out on snake patrol.
1f600.svg
1f600.svg
1f600.svg
1f600.svg

Kevin - I was visualizing how distracted I am with no snakes at my local range, and this picture really made me aware. Copperheads are out here in NC, but certainly not as worrisome as rattle snakes! Glad all were safe.

I like the idea of boots vs. flip flops! 

Tom

I was shooting prairie dogs in Colorado a few years ago. At our first stop, I opened the truck door and there was a rattlesnake. I was a little paranoid about snakes anyway, so luckily I looked before stepping out! Our good ol' NC Copperhead is kind of a good news/bad news story. It's a relatively small snake, and its venom load is not that great, but, its quick to strike. During the last couple of years, we have had three dogs and two people bitten by Copperheads in my neighborhood. I don't believe any of them received anti-venom, and all recovered well, but it took a while. All were dog walking on the street after dark, and with no flashlight. The warm pavement attracts snakes on cooler summer nights, and it's foolish to walk without a light. One night last week I came within about 3 feet of a Copperhead, also on the pavement. I saw him in time to keep me and the dog away from it. So, good light, good shoes, and good sense will keep you safe.