• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

a completely new person to air guns in need of help

Hi I'm a newbie to Airguns and hunting in general. I'm not sure exactly what to get in terms of gear. I'm looking to hunt rabbits (cottontail) possibly gophers and starlings and maybe pigeons. My budget would probably be around 600 bucks tops. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

(Edit)
So would there be any way to ask the same question but in a 300 dollar budget.
PS.
Can you fill a maurader with a hand pump

Hi, 

Welcome to the airgun world. For your request, I would recommend you the benjamin Discovery .22cal with Benjamin Hand Pump and the combo UTG 3x9-40 scope and UTG rings. The combo will fit well for what you are looking (efficient range 30-50 yrds). In additional, you can try the Benjamin Marauder .25 cal but it gonna go over your budget a little bit. 

Another suggestion, though I agree with Sushi as well, is giving Mike from Flying Dragon airguns a call. Decent Chinese guns for very reasonable prices. Also, check out DiscosRUs.net. Norm sells a lot of refurbished Discos.

As sushi mentioned, if you put a little more in or can find one used, the upgrade to an MRod might be worth it. It is a much quieter gun and is also a repeater.

Good luck

Reactions: RoyE77
Both great start up suggestions! I would type the very same thing. A few more things on Discovery vs Marauder. The discovery works at 2000 psi max and the Mrod at 3000 psi max. So, less pumping. Also, the Disco has open sights so, you can shoot without a scope if you want. The Marauder is the most quiet PCP I've ever heard. When I shot my Dad's for the first time, I thought it was either out of air or broken! It's really that quiet
It's well worth it to go for .22 or .25 cal for hunting IMO. Just remember that the bigger your pellet, the less shots per fill. Since this will be your first PCP air rifle, I would recommend you start saving $ right away for your next one! They are very addictive. 
Since your new to hunting - Always be aware of where your shot is going to go if you miss or your pellet goes through your target/animal. 
Let us know how you like it! 

Danann
It looks like you will be hunting small game with the intended rifle. Since you are brand new to airguns, and have a budget of $600, I would suggest a spring rifle over a PCP. With a PCP rifle, you will need a source of air to fill your rifle. Either a hand pump of a air tank. With a spring rifle, all you need to do is cock it and you are ready to go.
My first choice for a spring rifle for a beginner is the RWS model 34. Airguns of Arizona has it for $255. This leaves you plenty left over to buy a scope,rings, and pellets. If you want to modify the rifle, spring kits are available.
if you wish to go with a PCP rifle, then the suggestions by the others are all excellent.
Hope this helps
Mike

"Norcal_Matt"Another suggestion, though I agree with Sushi as well, is giving Mike from Flying Dragon airguns a call. Decent Chinese guns for very reasonable prices. Also, check out DiscosRUs.net. Norm sells a lot of refurbished Discos.

As sushi mentioned, if you put a little more in or can find one used, the upgrade to an MRod might be worth it. It is a much quieter gun and is also a repeater.

Good luck
Awesome call with the discosrus.net! I'm in pretty much the same boat as Dannan and I've been going back and forth for a month trying to decide between a Disco or a Marauder...... It looks like they have the best price I've found so far on the Marauder and I think that's the direction I'm going to go!

"RoyE77"
"Norcal_Matt"Another suggestion, though I agree with Sushi as well, is giving Mike from Flying Dragon airguns a call. Decent Chinese guns for very reasonable prices. Also, check out DiscosRUs.net. Norm sells a lot of refurbished Discos.

Good luck
Awesome call with the discosrus.net! I'm in pretty much in the same boat as Dannan and I've been going back and forth for a month trying to decide between a Disco or a Marauder...... It looks like they have the best price I've found so far on the Marauder and I think that's the direction I'm going to go!
I'm glad I could help! It is amazing how many small companies there are in the airgun community and it's through forums like this that we all get to hear of them! Be sure to let us all know how it works out for you.

I'll make it really simple for you guys looking for their first PCP. Get the Marauder. If you are going to shoot birds buy a .22 if you are going to shoot fir get the .25 cal. The Marauder is A LOT quieter than the Discovery. There is really no comparison between the two. I know the Marauder is more money but trust me in a year or two you will not care. If you buy the Discovery then in a year or two you'll lose money selling it in order to buy the Marauder. I have gone overboard a little on PCP guns and I talked one of my hunting buddies to come airgunning with me. He loved the sport and we have shot a lot of squirrels and pigeons together. He was in the same boat as you, budget of 600 bux. I talked him into a Marauder .25 and yesterday I watched him kill a squirrel at 120 yards. Get the Marauder.

"keysersoze"I'll make it really simple for you guys looking for their first PCP. Get the Marauder. If you are going to shoot birds buy a .22 if you are going to shoot fir get the .25 cal. The Marauder is A LOT quieter than the Discovery. There is really no comparison between the two. I know the Marauder is more money but trust me in a year or two you will not care. If you buy the Discovery then in a year or two you'll lose money selling it in order to buy the Marauder. I have gone overboard a little on PCP guns and I talked one of my hunting buddies to come airgunning with me. He loved the sport and we have shot a lot of squirrels and pigeons together. He was in the same boat as you, budget of 600 bux. I talked him into a Marauder .25 and yesterday I watched him kill a squirrel at 120 yards. Get the Marauder.
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to.... I wish I would have gone with the Marauder before I bought my Trail XL but at the time I was debating it or the Disco. I don't want to buy the Disco and then a few months later be kicking myself (like I am now) wishing I had spent just a little more and taken that next step up....

Dannan:

I recommend going with a .177 Benjamin Discovery. If you go through Pyramyd Air, you can get the following starter setup (prices reflect 10% discount):
  • $520 - Benjamin Discovery Bundle (Pump + Scope + Mounts + 1 Tin Pellets - Safety Glasses - Gun Case)
  • $25 - Cleaning and Maintenance Supplies
  • $28 - 4 Tins of Pellets
Total $573 w/free shipping

Maurader all day my vote too sushi hit it on the head u can also tune them to except lower or higher fill pressures be sure to count your turns and document them when adjusting hammer throw and pre load ect I wouldn't touch without a crony though it's excellent starter gun it got me hooked quiet accurate Pcp u be happy enough things to do to it to keep u playing until u save up enough for your next one 

I have a Marauder in .22 cal - I believe it to be the 1st generation - it shoots great groups! The only problem is it won't place them in the same place. The groups move about 3/4 to 1.00 high and around 1/2 left to center at 20 yards over the usable pressure range of 2800 - 1800 psi. I have tried many things to get it to shoot that well and if Crossman hasn't fixed this problem in the Gen 2 production I would stay away from the .22 cal. I like the fit and feel of the Marauder so you might conceder the .25 cal that doesn't appear have the problems of the .22 cal.

If Crossman would like to send me the parts to fix this rifle to get it shoot the way it should have they can PM me. Then I would give the .22 cal a more favorable review.

I realize everyone means well but to recommend a setup costing more than $600 is irrelevant nor viable. The OP asked for a recommendations for a setup costing no more than $600. How on earth can he afford a Marauder on that budget? A new .25 Marauder costs $495 which leaves just $105 to spend on a pump, mounts, scope, and pellets.

I may be missing something but I would like to see the math showing how one can buy a new Marauder along with a pump, mounts, scope, and pellets for just $600.