• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

480cc bottle fill with a hand pump ?

Hello ! :) 

I'm new to the airgun world, i've shot with firearms (mostly match .22lr) for a really long time now, and i want to try something new, i was looking for a PCP air rifle for more than a year now, and when i saw the FX Impact... Oh boy ! i knew it was THE onei was looking for ! ^^ 

Now, i havent bought the gun yet, since they will be available in March :'( but i have a lot of infos on the gun and PCP's in general, and i'm now ready !

But i have a small problem, there is no dive shop or anything like this near my house, so there is no way that i can use a diving tank... my onlly solution isto get a hand pump (probably the FX 4 stage turbopump)...

And the problem is, will i be able to fill the 480cc bottle up to 250 bars with this pump ? i know that it is technically pussible since the pump can go up to 250 bars, but will it actually work ? i dont want to pump like 2000 times to get 100 shots, well you probably have the point not ^^ is it a viable option ? 

ps : i'm sorry if my english is not perfect, this is not my native language ^^

Reactions: Airgun_N00B
Well, only you can answer for certain. But.
You are looking at, very roughly, 1 stroke per cc4800cc + you hose & such + bleed every 50-100 shots to let moisture out + dpressurize hose again......
just over 500 strokes the first time ( but that's with a gen2 FX pump???).
There after you are just topping off so it wont be as bad and with a regulator you don't need to fill to 250bar and every shot - on the reg- will be the same fps you will just get fewer shots which might be a good way to go.
PROPER pumping technic will be needed. Stand on pump, lift handle , with your back straight push handle down until you can lock your elbows then just drop all your body weight on it keeping your back straight and your elbows locked, repeat 526 times, LOL.

Keep us posted.

John

"how did you got that result "
Memory of pumping up a 490cc big-bore years ago using the FX 2nd gen pump, 500 strokes dead even with no bleeding ( which you should do) .
And running from 200bar down to 140 does sound like a plan, you will enjoy your new rig.
Also it seems ( maybe I am way off tho?) most pumps move about 1cc of air per stroke, 1cc .t 100psi, 1cc at 3,000psi the pump doesn't care, only you will notice the difference in psi, hehe.
I pumped all my rifles for years and never found it to be any problem.
John

Reactions: Airgun_N00B
oh ok thanks ! ^^ 

I might have found the "solution" on the FX website, they say that the pump moves 300cc of air, at 1 ATM, so i tried something... 480cc is at 1ATM ? right ? so 480cc of air at 250 BAR should be 120 000cc (yeah thats not really accurate but at least im trying ^^) so, to fill those 120 000cc with the pump, it would require me 400 pumps, + the loss from the bleeding valvle, you where right, it should be around 500 :) 

So now, if my math are correct (and im not sure about it, at all) if i use the gun from 220 BAR down to 140, i would have to pump only 128 times to re fill it up to 220 BAR ! :) 

i hope i'm right ^^ 

From what I read on the Indy, it's about 2 to 3 pumps per shot. I like the idea of having a pump to provide complete independence, and as a backup in case the carbon fiber bottle runs out, but the bottle sure made life easier.

The other issue on something like the Indy is the amount of pressure required to close the pump. Many of us older folks (middle aged here) just don't have the upper body strength or stamina to pump, shoot, pump, shoot, pump shoot kind of thing. Besides, I got into the sport to shoot, not run a pump.

Do I own a pump? Yes. Can a pump work? ABSOLUTELY! Do I enjoy pumping? Well, no, I hate pumping.

If you enjoy the physical activity of running a pump, go for it. Personally, I'll stick with the bottle.

Thanks fro this answer Saltlake58 ! :) well i'm 20 and i'm hunting a lot, and hiking too ! ^^ so i have the phisical strenght to use a pump, my biggest problem was the fact that i didnt knew how many pumps i needed to fill the gun, because i'm ok with less than 300 pumps, but no more ! ^^ 

And the Indy is cool, if i was in the US, hunting with an airgun, i would probably buy this, but i will use my gun for target shooting and... hunting with airguns isnt alowed in France :/ but if a pigeon have the bad idea to land in my backyard......... well you know what will happen ^^ 

I'm finally decided to go for a hand pump, now i have to choose which one... FX 4 stages, or Hills Mk2 ? 

I own the Independence .22 and yes it is about 3 pumps per shot ..i can get 6 target accurate shots before a slight loss of power changes the poi 
it has been known to be as accurate as any other air sourced gun and I have been told that a few have been used to very good results in formal target shooting competitions
I cound not justify the extra money for a tank set up so that is why I went this way and I am glad that I did ...I have a very extensive background shooting powder burners and have shot some of the most accurate platforms in the world ....i am super pleased with the potential of my FX Independence!
Jonathan 

"Wellgun"oh ok thanks ! ^^ 

I might have found the "solution" on the FX website, they say that the pump moves 300cc of air, at 1 ATM, so i tried something... 480cc is at 1ATM ? right ? so 480cc of air at 250 BAR should be 120 000cc (yeah thats not really accurate but at least im trying ^^) so, to fill those 120 000cc with the pump, it would require me 400 pumps, + the loss from the bleeding valvle, you where right, it should be around 500 :) 

So now, if my math are correct (and im not sure about it, at all) if i use the gun from 220 BAR down to 140, i would have to pump only 128 times to re fill it up to 220 BAR ! :) 

i hope i'm right ^^
Just punped my fx boss from 100-200 bar. It was difficult and much longer than my smaller resevoir rifles but definently dooable. This is especially true if you put your body weight on it. However, i went super slow to prevent damage onto my seals/orings. 

Also have you thought about getting nitrogen? Many people cant access dive shops but can rent nitrogen delivered to your door. Its 6000 psi too!