• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

40 grain .22 cal slugs ?

A few videos back Matt and Gerhard have also being using their PTE air rifles, I believe they shoot 40 gr 22 LR heads.

A54E500B-EC66-43BE-9BBA-9B7C3D216131.1621268817.png
61EC9651-2E04-4322-BD50-E5EFF4D50A5A.1621268817.png

In Gerhard last video he states that he is not using a FX liner on his FX air rifle but still shooting a 40 gr slugs. He did also say that he will reveal what type of barrel he is using in this coming Friday video.

I first used 40g boat tail in my condor when Nielsen used to make them a few years ago...he discontinued them because there were no air guns available to push such a heavy. 22 . By the way. He discontinued all boat tails. it that moment with a modified valve I could only push them at 840 fps but still really acurate slug .. 100+ yards .. be aware that the same weight slug flat base will simply get stuck in the barrel..to much contact in the barrel compared to the boat tail...right now without to much modifications only a 95gram hammer the new rimlock valve should push that 40g boat tail in the 940+fps .. I finish my .223 condor a year ago but the twist rate used was 1-12 .. when I finally got the time to really go long..it shoot like crap..why every body that has been using. 223..were using light bullets from 35g to 40 max in 1-16 to 1-14 twist..I wanted to shoot heavy bullet from 50g + up to 62g .. my finish condor could shoot 60g at 970+ fps 125 FP in low power at 3050 psi .. I'm working now in a .224 1-8 n 1-9 twist to se what will work better for those 50g + bullets...I know airforce is not the prettiest in the room but with well lubricated action and a external regulator attached to small 72 ci bottle you could do everything those boys are doing..in low power, because if you se his tune that rifle is pretty much max out..don't think that such a complex rifle will work max out to much time..but that we will never know..RMP air guns have just finished his. 223 condor with a 1-9 twist..awesome group at 100y with 60g bullets. 

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I first used 40g boat tail in my condor when Nielsen used to make them a few years ago...he discontinued them because there were no air guns available to push such a heavy. 22 . By the way. He discontinued all boat tails. it that moment with a modified valve I could only push them at 840 fps but still really acurate slug .. 100+ yards .. be aware that the same weight slug flat base will simply get stuck in the barrel..to much contact in the barrel compared to the boat tail...right now without to much modifications only a 95gram hammer the new rimlock valve should push that 40g boat tail in the 940+fps .. I finish my .223 condor a year ago but the twist rate used was 1-12 .. when I finally got the time to really go long..it shoot like crap..why every body that has been using. 223..were using light bullets from 35g to 40 max in 1-16 to 1-14 twist..I wanted to shoot heavy bullet from 50g + up to 62g .. my finish condor could shoot 60g at 970+ fps 125 FP in low power at 3050 psi .. I'm working now in a .224 1-8 n 1-9 twist to se what will work better for those 50g + bullets...I know airforce is not the prettiest in the room but with well lubricated action and a external regulator attached to small 72 ci bottle you could do everything those boys are doing..in low power, because if you se his tune that rifle is pretty much max out..don't think that such a complex rifle will work max out to much time..but that we will never know..RMP air guns have just finished his. 223 condor with a 1-9 twist..awesome group at 100y with 60g bullets. 

1:16 is ideal for 40gr. Your barrel with 1:12 is more than ideal for 50-62grainers so twistrate isnt the issue with your barrel.. Firelap it and make sure your chamber, crown and throat are cut properly and have them finished with diamond paste. If those dont fix your problems you have lost in barrel lottery. Can hapen no matter who makes that barrel more you pay (matchgrade) less changes you have to get lemon. 

In theory is I deal -that why I chose to start with 1-12 there is a lot of "experts" in theory but in the real world is another different thing..so twist rate is the real issue here..no body has used 55 to 60 grains in airguns so until now there is no data about what works, only light bullets have been used..one or 2 have tried with no success you could read about it in GTA forum..theory is proven with groups .. 1-12 might be the place to start in powder burners at 2600fps + but in a air gun a faster twist is needed..I even send the barrel to a master machinists to se if it was something wrong with the machining .. there was nothing wrong it simply doesn't work.. non of the 3 twist balistic calculators .. see 60g stabilize until 1-9 .. it shows even more stability in 1-8 .. 2.5+..now to the group part RMP airgun finish his in 1-9 ... result 1" or les a 100y .. you se no theory, no that is suppose to work.. my decision to use 1-12 was based more in the .. rifle forums..because I have no info in the air gun community since my main purpose was to shoot 50g + bullets...so for me nothing is lost ... only knowledge is gained to try n error..that happens to every one trying something new...n i always willing to pay $$$ for match grade..it simply don't work .. don't matter who works the 1-12...now that 1-9 was proven will be easier for anyone that wants to use heavy bullet..to simply go n buy that twist..i have my new 1-9 barrel onthe work n also purchase 1-8 just to se what is better..a soon that is done will have. 257 .. 1-9 made just for fun..

In theory is I deal -that why I chose to start with 1-12 there is a lot of "experts" in theory but in the real world is another different thing..so twist rate is the real issue here..no body has used 55 to 60 grains in airguns so until now there is no data about what works, only light bullets have been used..one or 2 have tried with no success you could read about it in GTA forum..theory is proven with groups .. 1-12 might be the place to start in powder burners at 2600fps + but in a air gun a faster twist is needed..I even send the barrel to a master machinists to se if it was something wrong with the machining .. there was nothing wrong it simply doesn't work.. non of the 3 twist balistic calculators .. see 60g stabilize until 1-9 .. it shows even more stability in 1-8 .. 2.5+..now to the group part RMP airgun finish his in 1-9 ... result 1" or les a 100y .. you se no theory, no that is suppose to work.. my decision to use 1-12 was based more in the .. rifle forums..because I have no info in the air gun community since my main purpose was to shoot 50g + bullets...so for me nothing is lost ... only knowledge is gained to try n error..that happens to every one trying something new...n i always willing to pay $$$ for match grade..it simply don't work .. don't matter who works the 1-12...now that 1-9 was proven will be easier for anyone that wants to use heavy bullet..to simply go n buy that twist..i have my new 1-9 barrel onthe work n also purchase 1-8 just to se what is better..a soon that is done will have. 257 .. 1-9 made just for fun..

There is multiple guns at 223cal in our national forums and 1:12 & 1/12.6 LW barrels 223/222rem are most proven and most used. Shooting slugs in this cal isnt anything new or experimental.. There is even one shooting 80grainers from 1:7 barrel.. I also personally know the guy you mostlikely got your idea from his tube content. May I ask what bullets have you tried? Did you reinforce your condor frame, did you have your barrel work done by gunsmith who knows what he is doing, did you get your throat and crown polished with diamondpaste after cutting, have you firelapped your barrel or handlapped, what type of throat angle are you using, do you size your bullets to bore, do you lube them? It is not twistrate problem there are 60grainers that stabilize even from my 12,6" barrel in theory and in real world.. Oh and most importantly did your barrel get machined on right way? Lw blanks for example have caliber markings on chamber end. Easiest way to get your barrel ruined is to drop it to machinist who dosent get its important what way your barrel is machined at 50/50changes get it wrong.. Also if you think its stability problem how did you analyze it? Keyholes? Did you get it to shoot straight with anything? 223cal and long bullets can tumble in air easily if your crown is cut badly and release from barrel end is uneven thats why I said have your crown done by gunsmith not machinist lol same goes with polishing crown after thats due microspurs you have after cutting it. Also those bullets can tumble in air even after contacting long grass etc.. Also if you cant find suitable 60+grainers there really is no much point BC wise going any heavier. Gains are none existing or really minimal. Try 51gr noe spitzers https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/224/225-51-sp-ba5/225-51-sp-ba5-2-cavity-1gc-1pb-225450/ thats the bullet Nballistics used in his escape with good results and he didnt even run his escape regulated or externaly regulated and that Escape have LW 223rem 1:12 barrel. Also dont expect any accuracy if you dont size them correctly. Im using 224size die that truefully drops them at 223.5 but you need to slug your barrel to get real dia. Its individual but you should use 0.0005 or so over for best results. Also use lube.. 

I'm simply going to leave it like that..you and NB balistic dont use heavy bullets because they simply shoot like crap in your 1-12 if not do a video and show what the gun do with 60g .. give some to your friend to so he could do a video about it..I have seen his groups and none is ever close to 1" even with his 50g I seen his bullet line up that 51g spizer is his heavier bullet ... the guys in Denmark with their. 223 rifles for years have been using for competition bulets in 35 to 43g at the most. there is nothing in the world wide web.. about .223 1-7 in a airgun .. one again is I know a friend that has a friend..n that is crap..but you are the expert .. ther is no point in going heavier.. crap again..there is no point on going heavier if your gun cant push them.. if not there will be no point of a 95g high BC 223 PB bullet .. so my gun safely could push 62g 1000fps in low power .. so that what I'm looking for..but yes it makes no sense for me to go heavier because. 257 start at 60g ... about my machinists I will not say names .. but he is the best air gun Smith..in his field.. way better......well you know.....most of my. 225 bullet mold... really old casters have only seen them on pictures ... for the record I was trying to help some member that might want to go 50+ g to go with the correct twist based..in a gun all ready finish and working - and my personal experience with the 1-12 that doesn't work for 55g +.. but if it works for you .. great you just have to make a no crap video about it. And no I say you say may friend have ..👍

I'm simply going to leave it like that..you and NB balistic dont use heavy bullets because they simply shoot like crap in your 1-12 if not do a video and show what the gun do with 60g .. give some to your friend to so he could do a video about it..I have seen his groups and none is ever close to 1" even with his 50g I seen his bullet line up that 51g spizer is his heavier bullet ... the guys in Denmark with their. 223 rifles for years have been using for competition bulets in 35 to 43g at the most. there is nothing in the world wide web.. about .223 1-7 in a airgun .. one again is I know a friend that has a friend..n that is crap..but you are the expert .. ther is no point in going heavier.. crap again..there is no point on going heavier if your gun cant push them.. if not there will be no point of a 95g high BC 223 PB bullet .. so my gun safely could push 62g 1000fps in low power .. so that what I'm looking for..but yes it makes no sense for me to go heavier because. 257 start at 60g ... about my machinists I will not say names .. but he is the best air gun Smith..in his field.. way better......well you know.....most of my. 225 bullet mold... really old casters have only seen them on pictures ... for the record I was trying to help some member that might want to go 50+ g to go with the correct twist based..in a gun all ready finish and working - and my personal experience with the 1-12 that doesn't work for 55g +.. but if it works for you .. great you just have to make a no crap video about it. And no I say you say may friend have ..
1f44d.svg

We both use 50+grainers and you were speaking of 50-60gr... You know that bullet stability is much more than just weight to twistrate ratio right? You use calculator to calculate ones that might work and test them.. There are 60gr bullets that you dont get stability our from and there is ones that you do. You always match bullets to barrel not otherway around. Im done trying to help you. You cant even reply to my questions so eather you dont even know what Im talking about or than you havent done those things. What comes to guys in Denmark... Sigh get your countrys right = Netherland they use 1:16 to dublicate 22lr like scenario with 41,4gr 22lr like bullets.

https://youtu.be/-GI-9nSTdFo

there you go 223 with 1:7.. If you dont know who he is then you probably havent read much on GTA.

Only thing I agree with you is that if 60gr and + is what you want I would defo choose 1:9 or even 1:7 since I dont really believe overstabilization in airguns.. Dont expect magic to happen with any of the twisrates you need to test huge ammount of different bullets. 

There was no member wanting to go 50+gr this topic is about 40gr just for off the record... 

Yup .. is length to twist rate ratio..but you know that expert ... the twist rate calculator will give you n approximate.. and you make the decision on the numbers on what to buid n try... so if what I want to shoot is 55g + you use the calculator to match the twist rate to the length of the bullet.. almost all of my same weight bullets has the same length it varies to little..is not that I don't know what you're are talking about..is that I don't care because I didn't ask...you can't help me because you dont know the answer..you thing you do .. but you don't... and there you go and find some random old video..tha I have seen but it gives nothing to my problem..do you se it shoot because I don't...were are the group..any good machinists could do a custom show gun .. without groups is worth less...put this on your head..you are a expert on your gun buid .. dont be replying to things that you really dont know...because you don't know nothing about shooting 55g to 60g accurately.. yes there is almost no 60g bullet molds..but of those available I have 4 really old n 2 new arcenal.. in 55g 10 .. the rest between 50 n 35g .. enough bullets to test..

Yup .. is length to twist rate ratio..but you know that expert ... the twist rate calculator will give you n approximate.. and you make the decision on the numbers on what to buid n try... so if what I want to shoot is 55g + you use the calculator to match the twist rate to the length of the bullet.. almost all of my same weight bullets has the same length it varies to little..is not that I don't know what you're are talking about..is that I don't care because I didn't ask...you can't help me because you dont know the answer..you thing you do .. but you don't... and there you go and find some random old video..tha I have seen but it gives nothing to my problem..do you se it shoot because I don't...were are the group..any good machinists could do a custom show gun .. without groups is worth less...put this on your head..you are a expert on your gun buid .. dont be replying to things that you really dont know...because you don't know nothing about shooting 55g to 60g accurately.. yes there is almost no 60g bullet molds..but of those available I have 4 really old n 2 new arcenal.. in 55g 10 .. the rest between 50 n 35g .. enough bullets to test..

No one knows whats wrong with your barrel without testing.. I was giving you an idea what might be wrong before you toss out extra money and you are being ass about it. There is much more than lenght to twist ratio and most importantly there is weight distribution to shape ratio that changes with projectile shape and mix you cast from. Generally back heavy shapes fly better with lower RPM and adding HP to your projectiles do no harm in subsonic speeds. 

Thats not showgun that is build by Marko same guy who currently holds record of most powerful pcp and he is also the only guy Im aware of that have broke Mr Bob Sterne's goal for potential maxinium fpe and that was done with that same gun if I remember correctly. It is not his gun tho it is used by his friend and they both host multiple competitions in here each year. 

Im out cba to put anymore my time into something that you dont care about.. 

The huben is fairly quiet. Maybe a bit louder than a nail gun. It was a $380ish die that broke. The corbin one is much more robust but only makes straight sided slugs. The huben slugs were great because they were only the full .223 diameter on a tiny driving band to minimize friction while still sealing in the barrel. It was possible to get the same FPE I get now with the reg set to 19 megapascals rather than the 21 it takes now, even though they were 4 grains lighter

Jiikuu ... don't you know how to read..didn't you se in my post that I have found the solution thanks to the guy at RMP airguns .. that he finish his .. and is shooting awesome the weight I want to shoot..n that I have 2 barrels in the works..do you see me asking someone or to you anything..? Don't you have to accept you can't shoot 60g n your buddy either..so yo dont know crap about what I need..don't be giving advice to people who don't ask you for it especially if is full of crap...those who I need their specialized advice I pm them and ask them privately...you are another of those want to shine talking about things they have read n repeat but don't know anything about it..thanks...