25cal springers...are they really worth having?

G'day,

With reference to Hatsan I bought a 125 in .22. 'Powerful' was understating what happened when it fired. Accurate was a word that did not apply as I soon realised it was not accurate. Eventually I mounted it in a work shop vice and laid a straight edge along the action and found that the barrel, from the pivot bolt, pointed nearly four mms left at the muzzle. I gave up and cut it up with my angle grinder. That said, I understand that a good 125 can be a fine rifle. I bought a poor one and was not inclined to have anything more to do with Turkish guns and so only buy German rifles now.

Jim

You should've had them take it back for warranty replacement. A bad one gets out now and then with the average corporation. I'm 2nd generation Ford/UAW, and have head and seen a lot in regard to these things. It can happen to anyone. It's all in how you deal with it. That said, I like the Benjamin Trail NP XL725 .25cal better than the Hatsan. More power for starters. Thumbhole wood stock with nice oil finish. Blued metal barrel shroud with built-in suppressor as well. Shoots accurately.

If you're looking for a .25 English springer with a gas ram installed, I know of one for $500.00 I believe he said. He also has a Gamo Hunter extreme Socom that he tuned. Buttoned piston and trued all up. That one is $350.00 and it's spitting the H&N 19 grain .25's at a tid bit over 800fps. 
The owner is known to me. I have his number and a picture of the rifles. I'd personally want the Gamo as I know who tuned it and know it'll be good to go for less money. Just pointing out a true English tuned Patriot. Not a Turkish one.
This fellow will be at the air gun show in N.C around the 20th-22nd I believe, 100 tables, all air guns. He's in Georgia though regularly and will ship if no one grabs them before the show. 
I personally have thought quite a bit about it and was looking for a .25 Diana. I was told most of the Diana's don't make very powerful .25's. I think the 350 Magnum would be the best candidate to rebarrel if done so. I'd just get a Mike Melick tuned B-28 which is an exact copy of the RWS 350 Magnum. Anyway, in the end, I rethought it all and decided to just save for a Jager .30 and a RAW .357.
I have to say, w/ what's available today, I think spring guns are best in .177, .20, & .22. Some are very capable to throw a .25 quite well. I'm personally passing though for ease of accurate powerful shots.

I'm planning on buying the Hatsan 135 QE in .30, within the next 6 months. Mainly for whacking squirrels out of my backyard at close range (with some serious power!), but also for possible hunting in the future, and fun target practice when I buy a much bigger house with much bigger yard, sometime next year if all goes well.

Right now my main squirrel pesting weapon is a .22 gas piston break barrel.

Might get the Umarex Hammer .50 pcp.

I have a hatsan edge .25 vortex ( heavily modified/tuned 150 bar gas ram,buttoned piston,moly burnish everywhere,vortek seal,GRT3 trigger,ect) as much as I would love a higher end springer I can't afford one... But at least I did get lucky with the hatsan, the .25 edge I have only puts out 22 ft lbs max,it is EXTREMELY accurate if you know your hold over,the trajectory is very crazy loopy past 30 yards, but if you know where to aim,it hits where you point it every time,and being .25 the pellets carry energy better and hit harder, I also love using open sights with this gun,it works very well with iron sights,very light 6.6lb and still very very accurate. My opinion every airgun enthusiast should try a .25(along with every other caliber for that matter!)

I guess it takes 1000s and 1000s of rounds with just one gun to become acquainted enough with it to hunt accurately, I've hated springers in the past because I couldn't group better than 2" at 20 yds,but once I sucked up my pride and learned to CONCENTRATE suddenly I was grouping 1/2" at 20 yards and I could hit things at will @ 50yd! I believe it just take a lot of practice and determination with the gun you want to hunt with and a bit too much discipline. I think that's the biggest appeal of springers,they present the biggest challenge to shoot well,but are more satisfying when you can shoot them well. Just my 2¢ take on it.

When I hunt with big Magnum springers,I hunker down in a camouflaged hide with a small makeshift bench rest at the distance I feel comfortable to hunt at. Its easier to shoot big heavy springers in a bench rest position. Once I've got comfortable enough with the gun then I start stalking with it and shooting in different positions

Well, umo, springer's these days are a lot better than you give them credit for. Better build quality is possible and affordable now. They also have more power and velocity than you're giving them credit for. Personally, I think some folks have shot PCP's for far to long since they're easier to shoot accurately. Springer's and gas rams aren't that hard to be accurate with. Just takes a little more effort on our part. Here's some numbers to ponder.
​Striker 1000x shooting H&N hornet .22 @ 16.2gr;

​Benjamin Trail NP XL725 shooting .25 hornets @ 24.38gr;

And same with H&N FTT's @ 19.91gr;

The Trail is rated @ 900FPS/30FPE...