• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 marauder or .22 outlaw

Ok, I have the .22 Marauder. I can honestly say it gives great performance out to 75 yards. Reliable to a fault, Aftermarket parts everywhere, and the magazines just work. It's a tried and true design. Mine is not regulated, yet. The regulator got here a couple days ago and I haven't taken the time to install it. Probably this weekend.

Unregulated, it gets 30 shots between 2800 PSI and 1800 PSI before the shot speed starts to drop.

The trigger is definitely something you'll enjoy as well. Solid two stage trigger that is completely adjustable. I haven't bothered to adjust the trigger because I like the factory set.

Everything is adjustable, just like guns much higher priced. If you want to learn airguns, it's a fantastic starter platform. I learned enough to get in way over my head, and the nice folks at Crossman sent me the factory sets on all adjustments so I could get back to normal. I've figured where I like mine set, so it shoots the JSB 18.3 grain pellets at about 830fps. Easy to adjust, easy to work on.

You can adjust it for anything from the 14.3 grain Crosman Premiers to the 25 grain JSB's that are absolute monsters. You do get fewer shots per fill on the heavier pellets, but that's the nature of the beast.

The Marauder community is more than willing to help with whatever you need, and folks like Tom Holland of Field Target Tech has tear down videos that will help you in any repair situation.

I can't speak to the Outlaw, but I doubt it has all that going for it. Nothing particularly wrong with Chinese made, but the Marauder is made in the USA, 

By the way, I see you are in Utah, might want to take a field trip to Utah Airguns in Orem. Just opened their doors and hold some of the higher end guns. They are great with advice and you might be able to walk out of the store with your gun instead of waiting. 

What part of Utah are you in??

Good luck with your pick, can't go wrong.

Logan is gorgeous. Lots of opportunities to hunt there. All three of my kids went to Utah State, so I'm more familiar with Logan than I should be. The Side Shot guys are based in Logan if I remember correctly.

I've had the Marauder for about 5 years and am just now putting a regulator in. Mostly because I also upgraded to an Impact, and found out how much I like the regulated guns. The Marauder will shoot consistently for about 30 shots between fills without a regulator. The regulator isn't required, but is nice.

How do you plan to supply air? Is a pump in your future, or are you planning on a tank and perhaps a paint ball shop to fill the tank? or even a compressor?

It'll take air to sight in the scope (I hope a scope is included in the package, no open sights), air to break in the barrel with a couple hundred rounds and such. Plan on a good bit of pumping along the way. My experience is a bit over 3 strokes per shot, so 30 shots is around 100 strokes on my Benjamin pump. I'm told Hills are a bit more efficient, so 90 strokes or a bit less. That seems to hold across most non-regulated guns.

I have half dozen magazines. So, I load 3 and when they are gone, it's time to pump again. easy system.

good luck

I've owned 4 Marauders, 2 .22 and 2 .177. One .177 was regged. Awesome gun. 95 shots with 10.5 @900 fps. And super quiet.

Also owned a .22 Outlaw for a while. Only sold it to buy a Brocock Bantam. I really liked my Outlaw as it was accurate, fairly quiet, got 55 shots with 15.9 Jsb and was slim and trim. Very nice handling rifle too. 

It needed a little TLC to make things right but I like tinkering so it wasn't a big deal to me. The biggest issue I had was the cocking lever pin worked loose so I drilled it out and installed a 1/8" heavy coil pin. Problem solved.

Kinda of a toss up on which I prefer but the Marauder is still one of the best deals out there especially if you find a good used one. I bought my regged .177 for $225 because it has a barrel issue and stripped screw.. A little polishing and crowning and it was awesome. Good luck.