• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A 20fpe springer, or just under, from the factory for FT

So I just found out they shoot FT the next town over, and I'd like to try my skills.

I only have a Diana 460 mag .22, so too powerful and I don't want to use .22 or detune it as it's a great shooter. I've never had or used a PCP, and the only ones I've seen that interest me are unreleased and unproven. A match is 50 shots, maybe more, so a top off would probably be required. Distance is 10-55 yards.

My question is: Is there an accurate under lever, or I guess side lever (I don't want to cock a gun using the barrel), in .177 for a flatter trajectory, that comes in just under 20pfe right out of the box?

I know the top guys are shooting PCPs, but I'm of the opinion that if someone uses inferior equipment, that really separates the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated
GO to the nest match , Watch , ask questions except when they are shooting . i have not heard of unfriendly in this crowd except if your talking loud .
You will most likely be asked to try it ,"here try it ! "

Well....Consider these HW97 groups....One is a
177 with a TinbumTune kit running at 11.5 fpe (around 50 shots off my knee) the other is 25 shots with a box stock action. 20 caliber running at 14.6 fpe...just checked it, both targets at 30 yards...Anyone who couldn't be satisified with an HW97 is...well...just never worked with one seriously. I could probably do a "little" better with a PCP....but just take a minute and
1000002913.jpg
1000001498.jpg
1000003024.jpg
1000003023.jpg
study these groups shot non benched...I don't even shoot springers all that much....I can say without hesitation THESE '97"s WILL SHOOT!!!

😳20 fpe you’re probably not going to hit anything because of the recoil. A lot of guys take their .177 HW97 or TX200 and detune them to something like 10-12 foot pounds. You don’t have to shoot a pcp to be accurate . These are both under levers
I was thinking the speed will be more wind resistant and need less of a holdover. The limit is 20fpe, 12 seems too low, so I may just want a PCP after all

Well....Consider these HW97 groups....One is a
177 with a TinbumTune kit running at 11.5 fpe (around 50 shots off my knee) the other is 25 shots with a box stock action. 20 caliber running at 14.6 fpe...just checked it, both targets at 30 yards...Anyone who couldn't be satisified with an HW97 is...well...just never worked with one seriously. I could probably do a "little" better with a PCP....but just take a minute and View attachment 463206View attachment 463207View attachment 463208View attachment 463209study these groups shot non benched...I don't even shoot springers all that much....I can say without hesitation THESE '97"s WILL SHOOT!!!
HW97 is listed as suitable for FT, so I'm seriously considering that one. It comes without sights too so that's another plus for FT, except when they shoot the pistol course with open sights, which I'm definitely down for

Reactions: boscoebrea
Good luck consistently hitting these with a heavy, high recoiling springer consistently. I know I won’t be able to. Guys consistently hit these with de tuned 10.5 fpe TX 200s. The guys that do this all the time don’t shoot 20 foot pound springers. I’m not trying to talk down on any gun or anyone that wants to use a giant springer but it won’t be as enjoyable, like the saying goes “horses for courses”. I wouldn’t bring a sledgehammer if all I need is a ball peen hammer. Try the huge springer at a match and see for yourself

IMG_0508.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: genericAGuser
I've shot in the 30s with a 17ftlb .22 97K from my butt on the ground. An 18-19fpe (appropriate power for a 10.3) .177 would be a bit easier. I'm shooting my ASP20 at a match this Sunday and even with the cheap 12x Sig scope and poor ranging capabilities I expect I'll still end up in the 30s. Not everyone needs to be in first place to have fun at a LOCAL FT match. Some people just like to play with their toys 😆

That being said I have shot much better with both my sub 12fpe TX200 and 97K. They are better suited for FT. My point is that playing with the big guns can still be very enjoyable.

I've shot in the 30s with a 17ftlb .22 97K from my butt on the ground. An 18-19fpe (appropriate power for a 10.3) .177 would be a bit easier. I'm shooting my ASP20 at a match this Sunday and even with the cheap 12x Sig scope and poor ranging capabilities I expect I'll still end up in the 30s. Not everyone needs to be in first place to have fun at a LOCAL FT match. Some people just like to play with their toys 😆

That being said I have shot much better with both my sub 12fpe TX200 and 97K. They are better suited for FT. My point is that playing with the big guns can still be very enjoyable.
I have decided to compete with my FWB 124D and maybe one time with my RWS 350 rather than buying a RWS 57, HW 97, HW 98 or TX 2000. At least I can blame my poor score on the gun. Be fun to compare how I improve (big if) thru the years.

I have decided to compete with my FWB 124D and maybe one time with my RWS 350 rather than buying a RWS 57, HW 97, HW 98 or TX 2000. At least I can blame my poor score on the gun. Be fun to compare how I improve (big if) thru the years.
A 124 will keep up with a 97K or TX200 all day. I think you'll be very happy with that decision. I can't speak for the D350 though. That gun is my Kryptonite. I have two of them and I just cannot shoot either particularly well. It's the only magnum I own that I struggle with and it isn't even my most powerful one.

So I just found out they shoot FT the next town over, and I'd like to try my skills.

I only have a Diana 460 mag .22, so too powerful and I don't want to use .22 or detune it as it's a great shooter. I've never had or used a PCP, and the only ones I've seen that interest me are unreleased and unproven. A match is 50 shots, maybe more, so a top off would probably be required. Distance is 10-55 yards.

My question is: Is there an accurate under lever, or I guess side lever (I don't want to cock a gun using the barrel), in .177 for a flatter trajectory, that comes in just under 20pfe right out of the box?

I know the top guys are shooting PCPs, but I'm of the opinion that if someone uses inferior equipment, that really separates the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated
You are near Wayne and Randy in Ashland.
Plenty of field target knowledge and wisdom there.
Plus they got an airgun store there (everything you'll need to put together a competitive FT rig)

Their advice is free...pellets, you'll need to pay by the tin. LOL

I know Wayne post on here. I know they are big into PCP. But I've also seen some of their springer collection. You might want to test out some of his springers or PCPs before making a decision. Hands on experience is always better that all this virtual jawing.

I wished I lived around that area. I always enjoyed shooting at their FT range.

You got plenty of time to get ready for their July Grand Prix. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
Reactions: genericAGuser
In the beginning, 90% of your hit rate is determined by your technique, scope holdover setup and ranging, and wind doping ability. That leaves not much difference.