• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

2023 AAFTA RULE CHANGES

2023 AAFTA RULE CHANGES​

• Timers are now required at all Grand Prix events and Nationals.
• Variable scopes are now allowed for pistol Field Target, but must be set at 12X or lower.
• Skipping or shooting ahead on lanes is prohibited- lanes must be shot in order.

Skipping or shooting ahead on lanes is prohibited- lanes must be shot in order. == does this mean that shooters line up to wait (say #15 ) to start shooting that will make matches a lot longer . Maybe i am reading this wrong ?

The 2023 AAFTA rules and other documents can be found at AAFTA.org.

We'll look at above list as 1-2-3

1) is a good call and we out west at GP's have been using timers about 1/2 the time for quite a few years now.

2) Another good call, but hard one to enforce IMO

3) Absolutely a solid rule to put in writing

Now as to the stalling and getting backed up at a lane/s .... IF THE TIMER RULE is enforced by the MD and his range officers this should not be an issue.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
We'll look at above list as 1-2-3

1) is a good call and we out west at GP's have been using timers about 1/2 the time for quite a few years now.

2) Another good call, but hard one to enforce IMO

3) Absolutely a solid rule to put in writing

Now as to the stalling and getting backed up at a lane/s .... IF THE TIMER RULE is enforced by the MD and his range officers this should not be an issue.
how do you have a group of 20 shooters shoot in order (1 thru 20 lanes ) and not have 19 shooters waiting to shoot lane #1 ?

how do you have a group of 20 shooters shoot in order (1 thru 20 lanes ) and not have 19 shooters waiting to shoot lane #1 ?
I think you’re misunderstanding the rule. Matches will still be a “shotgun” start with only one squad per lane. The skipping or shooting ahead refers to a situation where the group in front of a squad is moving slow and the waiting squad skips them and the lane they are on to move to the next available lane and then come back later to shoot the lane they skipped. That is what is not allowed.

Generally AAFTA events are 2 shots per target, 2 targets per lane.
If a 60 shot match you end up at 15 lanes in total.
Shooters are generally PAIRED .. so a group of 20 is 10 pairs / squads and easily can be put on the course something like 1 3 4 5 7 9 11 12 13 15

Your question is IN ORDER .. which as Ruled by AAFTA you Can't jump from say 6 to 8 and then jump back to 7 etc .... this issue generally happens when a squad is stalled behind others with open lanes past them. This WHY the timer rule now ... EVERYONE KEEPS MOVING with same allotted time to take there shots. You run out of time you take a ZERO for those shots forfeited. ^ If enforced & timer started when it should be !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Generally AAFTA events are 2 shots per target, 2 targets per lane.
If a 60 shot match you end up at 15 lanes in total.
Shooters are generally PAIRED .. so a group of 20 is 10 pairs / squads and easily can be put on the course something like 1 3 4 5 7 9 11 12 13 15

Your question is IN ORDER .. which as Ruled by AAFTA you Can't jump from say 6 to 8 and then jump back to 7 etc .... this issue generally happens when is squad is stalled behind others with open lanes past them. This WHY the timer rule now ... EVERYONE KEEPS MOVING with same allotted time to take there shots. You run out of time you take a ZERO for those shots forfeited. ^ If enforced & timer started when it should be !!!!!!!
ok Thankyou , so if i am in squad #5 i start at lane 5 and end up in lane 4 to finish , so just like it is now but no skip ahead . Thankyou .

Reactions: Motorhead
ok Thankyou , so if i am in squad #5 i start at lane 5 and end up in lane 4 to finish , so just like it is now but no skip ahead . Thankyou .
Another point to make tho not sure if in the intent of this rule clarification ?

Is a person/s from a squad jumping ahead to the next lane if a large gap is forming leaving his squad/s mate to finish shooting the lane there currently on. In effect leaving each person/s to shoot via the honor system not being watched by there squad mate/s.
*This is best as I understand it ... is NOT legal either.

*Comments ?

Reactions: beerthief
Another point to make tho not sure if in the intent of this rule clarification ?

Is a person/s from a squad jumping ahead to the next lane if a large gap is forming leaving his squad/s mate to finish shooting the lane there currently on. In effect leaving each person/s to shoot via the honor system not being watched by there squad mate/s.

*Comments ?
I think that's the right way a squad stays together / moves together

*Comments ?
At a GP I would give this a hard no, although I have never been to a GP where it would be possible to shoot a lane with no one watching. At a monthly match, I've done this and seen others do it, no problemo. Especially if its a bunch of pairs with one squad of three, it's not uncommon for one of the trio of shooters to move up to the next lane to keep from bogging down the rest of the field.

Reactions: Motorhead