• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

2018 POLL WORST PCP GUN

A bad airgun statement can start an argument but if you look at the big picture, some things are obvious. I have 3 SPA airguns, my buddy has 1. All three of mine wouldn’t shoot. His is a tack driver. You look on various forums about them, it’s the same thing. Buying one is a crapshoot. You get a good one, you will defend the brand and argue with anyone who slams them. But, in reality, they are bad airguns. There are other factors to consider like how many of the guys that bought them are ham fisted cavemen and could wreck an Edgun. But still, I think the big picture is painted. Now you look at something like a Taipan. You have to look very hard to find someone who got a bad one. Every manufacturer can produce a dud but their quality control keeps that to a minimum. That brings me to what I consider a bad airgun. If you have researched and are getting ready to order a gun hoping you get a good one, you are ordering a bad airgun. Companies with bad QC can produce some really good guns but too many bad ones make it out the door and that ruins it for them. And for us.

correct vetmx But with some time the spas are great , the finish work is a bit rough once you smooth things out they a tack driver for the $$$ , mine shot 2 inches after polishing up things and recrown i am 1/2 moa @50yds which exceeds expectation for a spa , I agree totally , but they should QC things it is costly to them and us to not check things and have the end user the QC it but again I guess price deems what they can do . Id rather pay a bit more to have a pcp gun filled and leak tested and shot , this can minimize alot of headaches for us

I assume SPA is Snow Peak Airguns? 

I would also agree that purchasing an airgun, hoping you get the good one, means it's a bad gun. Sadly, guns in that arena can be extremely well designed, just poorly executed so that by the time the vendor gets the QC issues under control, the gun has such a bad rap no one will buy it. (Anyone remember the Chevy Vega? Yes, I'm old)

Sort of like the Gauntlet. Looks like a well designed gun, inexpensive parts to meet the $300 price point, but execution seems to lack. Just watched the Airgun Depot video on the new .25. Bolt looks incredibly rough, trigger needs adjustments out of the box, etc. Yet, some people claim to get tack drivers that are perfectly machined out of the box. Makes no sense. Propaganda is so varied that you cannot make an informed decision. (propaganda, not information. Who knows what the truth is? I've heard so many different stories, it's hard to tell.)

Many guns do fit into that category, so what is one to do?

I guess the best defense is to buy from a reputable retailer so you can send it back if needed, and build the return postage into the decision. You might just need it.

Better to research product and go by what others experience as sending back is a hassle and costly to ship a gun back and ho knows really what happens to return? are they just shipped to next customer , I heard a big name brand which sells guns from $1299 to $2050 has I head from 40% to as high as 60% returns , what really happens with them are they shipped to the next person after it has been returned . as You never see them sell demo or open boxed guns cheaper I think many reship out and hope next person keeps it What do u think they do with returns ?

lol I used to work on Vegas , I remember lifters going ( they would get stuck )and misfiring due to valves being stuck open ha ha , I remember one earlier how about Coviars they used to have gasoline heaters remember lol I once had to replace a clutch on a Hudson it had corks for the surface between flywheel and pressure plate and it ran in transmission fluid it was a wet clutch , when I started I used to carry a cutting plier and screwdriver and mini channel lock for road calls , today You need a Scanner to check anything , and nothing is adjustable like years ago , you could adjust points and carb and timing and idle mixture , Now nothing to adjust no timing all crank sensors ,today to adjust anything you need to like rewrite ECU parameter Like when used to modify turbo or bigger injectors it was all HZ and duty cycles

HMM reminds me of the Daystate redwolf simple power program ,Imagine rewriting that bin file

Yes SPA , Mrod , Peak , Atamis , and prob 10 other companies make them and relabel them . same with lower end scopes , and mid range scopes . while design is good , Finish work is poor , rough and loose machining ., all made in CHINA , WHere as if you buy a Daystate or any ED_GUN or FX the machining is Great .But the price i alot more , I feel a cheap gun with some elbow grease can be made into a good shooter but you cant expect it to shoot as well as a FX or be as Rugged as a EDGUN or as pretty as a Redwolf .

JWRABBIT123 - Dead on with the analysis. Most guns of lower price points can be worked into better guns, but who wants a project out of the box? I know some people will buy the gun as a foundation and build what they want, but that's not most of us.

On the other end of the spectrum, Call me a troglodyte, but I still can't get over having a battery in my gun. I know, I know, I've been supporting computers for close to 40 years, but I just cant get over electronic guns. Mechanics I understand, but the programming behind how the Daystate works just gives me the creeps. Do I really want to have a gun that can get a virus (conceptually speaking of course)? As you put it, rebuilding the bin file would be pure hell without the source code, compiler, method to load to the circuit board in the gun, etc. What if there's a bug in the code. I've been around computers way too long to want a computer in my gun. I want something WITHOUT a computer these days. Even my phone has more computing power than NASA did when we went to the moon in 1969. Something should be manual!

Enough ranting from the troglodyte, if an electronic gun floats your boat, that's fine, and I'll probably ask to shoot it. I won't buy one for a very long time, at least till I get over my phobia, but I'll want to shoot it just to compare. I've heard Daystate electronic guns have incredible triggers and are laser accurate, but still, a BATTERY?????

Anyway, it's good just to be the old fart once in a while. Someday, I might move forward in time and try one of those newfangled electronic guns, but for today, no, just can't get there. Guess I'm stuck driving that old Lambo in my mind (Oh how I wanted a Countache in my younger days!). It's old, stick, lousy suspension, tries to kill you on every corner, but it's what I always thought a car should be. Same with my gun. The FX is a bit more refined than the old Countache, but still, it's manual all the way through. No automatic tranny on that gun.

Have fun all, Shoot the bullseye every time!

ha ha well electronics are confusing if you do not work with them , I like electronics and have kept up with automotive technology and I used to repair things down to component level not just replacing parts , as for gun with electronics I dont know , I was tried about a decade ago and it did fail miserably due to environments or should I say water and extreme temps , I guess it all boils down to parts if they cheap china seconds for what inside things fail , I remember 12 years ago pc boards using cheap capacitiors which leaked and all failed , to save 1 dollar causes alot of headache . as most manufactures try to save money . I guess with electronic guns once they get some time it will see how boards and soldiering and programming and led display works , I am pretty rough on guns I did not get one due to fact I would ruin it in weeks , I like very rugged stuff , 

In 2018 I broke over 20 scopes and a bunch of guns lol , SO I know what doesnt work for me but I know I am rougher then most but I want my stuff durable so I know it i 100% reliable not 84% if this makes sense