• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.20 Beeman R9 Performance & Maintenance Review

In previous posts I have mentioned my appreciation for both the Beeman R9 series of rifles, and for the .20 cal pellet. This particular rifle displays the best of both.

Acquired from another AGN member in 2021 via the classifieds, I completely tore down this rifle and trigger, polishing all of the internals, and repowering using a Vortek PG4 steel spring kit and vacuum seal. I trimmed coils off of it until it was shooting right at 15 fpe. It is silky smooth to cock and to shoot.

I placed a Hawke Airmax compact 6-24x50 SFP scope on it using Sports Optics adjustable mounts with one stop pin.

This rifle is unique in terms of springers that I often experience where it takes a shot or two for it to come back into vertical alignment coming right out of the vault. This rifle is always dead center on the first shot from where one leaves off from the last session.

As with all of my rifles when set-up, this rifle was tested with all of the available .20 pellets in my vault, and the H&N FTT 11.42 grain outperformed the other three heavier pellets tested.

Pulling it out of the vault for this check-up, the pivot bolt required about 10% snug up, the stock screws were tight, and the scope screws and mount screws were perfectly tensioned. The barrel was so clean (I haven't shot it much) that there was no residue that came off with the first lubricated cleaning patch, and after one dry patch run front and back I called it good.

The test results can be found below. For me, this would be the perfect springer hunting combination in that it is light weight, easy to load, and deadly accurate.

1 - rifle image.jpg
2 - 18 yard test target.jpg