• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1st serious try at 419yd target berm

Most of the shooting today was at 300m, but I decided to push it out to the 419yd berm and see how the 7mm would hold up. I checked Strelok and I dialed in 73.5moa. I took three shots at a standing turkey silhouette and connected 2 out of 3, knocking it over on the 3rd shot. It is still carrying 142fpe at 419yds. I had braved the mud and setup a 1m wide paper target at 419yds. I aimed for the middle with no wind compensation. I shot a single 5 shot group that was 2.86moa c-to-c. Almost within my 4moa circle goal. I have since corrected my zero by about 1/2moa down. With that and wind correction, I could have had all shots within a 4moa circle. I'll probably get out to the 500m berm later this month (when things dry out).

419yds-00.jpg

armada-7mm-00.jpg

Last edited:
That is awesome for an airgun at that distance. 142 FPE left at 419 yards is insane!!! What’s the BC on those 7mm slugs?
BC = 0.26

That gives a good average over the velocities and distances that I shoot.

I've done a lot of testing using my Labradar. I use the G1 model which is not a perfect fit. It actually starts closer to 0.28 at 1000fps but falls off with velocity and distance.

The predicted BC from the NOE info is 0.23, but it does a little better than that at a little higher velocities.

BC = 0.26

That gives a good average over the velocities and distances that I shoot.

I've done a lot of testing using my Labradar. I use the G1 model which is not a perfect fit. It actually starts closer to 0.28 at 1000fps but falls off with velocity and distance.

The predicted BC from the NOE info is 0.23, but it does a little better than that at a little higher velocities.

WHOA!!!! BC of 0.26 is INSANE!!!

BTW you might want to use G7 with boat tail slugs like centerfire bullets.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
WHOA!!!! BC of 0.26 is INSANE!!!

BTW you might want to use G7 with boat tail slugs like centerfire bullets.
Back in September, I mapped it out using both the G1 and G7. The G7 did give a slightly more consistent BC value over distance, but the 0.26 G1 Strelok trajectory data was a very close match to my real life results. The G1 is more commonly used for comparing airguns slugs, so in the end, that is what I settled on.

Back in September, I mapped it out using both the G1 and G7. The G7 did give a slightly more consistent BC value over distance, but the 0.26 G1 Strelok trajectory data was a very close match to my real life results. The G1 is more commonly used for comparing airguns slugs, so in the end, that is what I settled on.

Yeah G7 is for long boat-tails and for short boat-tails like the NOE you linked G5 might be better but neither strelok nor applied ballistics app support anything but G1 and G7. Unless you map the whole trajectory into custom curved like Applied Ballistics, granted with Labrador you probably have the custom curve for at least first 100 yards.

Sounds like 0.26 in G1 is working for you, pretty mind blowing!

Yeah G7 is for long boat-tails and for short boat-tails like the NOE you linked G5 might be better but neither strelok nor applied ballistics app support anything but G1 and G7. Unless you map the whole trajectory into custom curved like Applied Ballistics, granted with Labrador you probably have the custom curve for at least first 100 yards.
t
Sounds like 0.26 in G1 is working for you, pretty mind blowing!
With a labradar that would take one heck of a lot of work, and some fudging of data. Depending on the environment the labradar is used in, and how well it is aimed to have the projectile flying through the true center of the beam, you can have very short distances of reliable readings. Where I use mine at home, on my long range of 110 yards, a 7mm projectile (nosler 140 grain partition) only gives good data out to 29-31 yards, it will track all the way to the target, but anything past roughly 30 yards is worthless. Some people have a clean enough environment for the weak radar the labradar uses and may get good data to 50 yards(looking at peoples full data they published I've never seen good data much past 40 yards ever), but really impossible to get it past that. To get long range data with a labradar, you need to find the shortest distance your data ever gets funky at all, fire a large number of bullets. Then you move your Labradar to roughly 15 yards short of that distance, extremely acurately measuring the distance from center of labradar where it was on bench to center of where it is now, getting it set up exactly in line, accurately aimed and set to the labradar trigger to doppler. You will be shooting your bullet to pass the labradar exactly where your muzzle would be placed next to the labradar when shooting on a bench. Better be accurate or you just destroyed it. With slow projectiles and lots of drop, midrange you may need a fairly tall tripod to accuratelly get it set to where the bullet passes it exactly as it did leaving the muzzle when you were at the bench to begin with. Measuing distance as you move the labradar downrange has to be ultra accurate. Keep doing this until you get far enough down range for your purposes.

Aiming a labradar correctly is more "fun" than most people realize. The notch is totally worthless, the two halves of the clamshell on the labradar are not truly symmetrical and the notch can be anywhere from meh, to truly horrible. This actually works out for how I attach my aiming device. Molded base out of steel epoxy that takes advantage of the non symmetry and cannot be placed but in one exact spot all the time. I did a lot of grid testing to find where the center of my beam was truly located and made an aiming device that is repeatable to less than a foot at 110 yards.

Here is two consecutive readouts from when I was testing my new at the time uragan 22, it was at that time over 30 ft lbs, currently I have it tuned down to roughly 22 ft-lbs. I was testing 25gr pellet at the time. Wasted a ten shot string here the first time, I had bumped the tripod and didn't think I moved it, should have checked the aim. I knocked the aim off about 3 feet to the side and a foot or so low at 110 yards, properly aimed SNR would be around 40 for the 22 Uragan that close in, but SNR doesn't matter too much over 30, just an indication I was off badly. All data was worthless except rough muzzle velocity. Using the notch on the labradar to aim, you probably cannot repeat your aim any closer than this was off at the time.

Time​
Dist. Yards​
Vel. Fps​
SNR​
0.033021​
8.52​
769.58​
32.41​
0.035021​
9.03​
769.53​
32.46​

It is completely impossible for the pellet to have dropped 0.05 fps in 2/1000 of a second. It slows down much faster than that, and this was only 8 yards out.

Reactions: qball
Nice shooting! What rifle is that? I guess most guys can recognize it from the photo, but I am clueless.

I am assuming this was a typo: "Almost within my 4moa circle goal." - since that group is under 1 MOA at 419 yards. 4 MOA at 400 yards is about 16 inches.

1673824388144.jpeg

The group is not under 1moa. That circle on the paper is 17” in diameter. If I can be inside the circle on the 1st shot (and hopefully every shot) I’m satisfied.

The group is not under 1moa. That circle on the paper is 17” in diameter. If I can be inside the circle on the 1st shot (and hopefully every shot) I’m satisfied.

Thanks for the clarification. I obviously misread the image and the description in the post. Very impressive with an airgun. When talking 400+ yards I guess my mind subconsciously thinks in powder burner group sizes. I rarely shoot past 50 yards with my airguns.