• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning .177 RWS 48 Repower Project/lower speeds do not always provide the tightest grp

Several months ago, I purchased a very nice 1960's RWS 48, and purchased - by mistake - a Vortek PG3-Steel <12 Ft LB kit to update the power plant. After I realized what I had done and it arrived, I decided to install it anyway. It certainly cocked smoothly and was a real pleasure to shoot, though I didn't find the accuracy to be up to my standards.

Sometime along the way, while discussing another matter with Tom at Vortek, I shared with him my order error and what I had done, and to my surprise, a few days later, a new spring showed up in the mail for me to swap out and make the <12 ft lb kit, a higher output kit.

I finally took the time to disassemble the rifle and the original kit this past week, and reassemble plus re-lube the rifle. When I was satisfied that everything internally was it should be, I set-it up on my indoor range and went to work to determine the best pellet match.

As you will be able to ascertain below, even though the power level and velocity increased dramatically, the accuracy improvement was unreal, shrinking many of the groups experienced at <12 ft lb by almost half.

Because I have several thousand AA 8.4 pellets, and the test results were within .02 of the RWS Superdome pellets that tested the best in this rifle, once complete, I zeroed the rifle for the AA 8.4 pellets and am now ready to move on.

There is absolutely no substitute for pellet testing to get the most out of your rifle. We have all been taught to believe that slower is better, particularly where springers are involved. Based upon this experience, this is not always the case.

DZ

1 - Spring identification label.05.21.1622171679.jpeg
2 - Performance Statistics.1622171679.jpg
3 - Test Target 1.1622171680.jpg
4 - Test Target 2.1622171680.jpg

Several months ago, I purchased a very nice 1960's RWS 48, and purchased - by mistake - a Vortek PG3-Steel <12 Ft LB kit to update the power plant. After I realized what I had done and it arrived, I decided to install it anyway. It certainly cocked smoothly and was a real pleasure to shoot, though I didn't find the accuracy to be up to my standards.

Sometime along the way, while discussing another matter with Tom at Vortek, I shared with him my order error and what I had done, and to my surprise, a few days later, a new spring showed up in the mail for me to swap out and make the <12 ft lb kit, a higher output kit.

I finally took the time to disassemble the rifle and the original kit this past week, and reassemble plus re-lube the rifle. When I was satisfied that everything internally was it should be, I set-it up on my indoor range and went to work to determine the best pellet match.

As you will be able to ascertain below, even though the power level and velocity increased dramatically, the accuracy improvement was unreal, shrinking many of the groups experienced at <12 ft lb by almost half.

Because I have several thousand AA 8.4 pellets, and the test results were within .02 of the RWS Superdome pellets that tested the best in this rifle, once complete, I zeroed the rifle for the AA 8.4 pellets and am now ready to move on.

There is absolutely no substitute for pellet testing to get the most out of your rifle. We have all been taught to believe that slower is better, particularly where springers are involved. Based upon this experience, this is not always the case.

DZ

Well done. Good study and a lot of good data there. I wish I had some time to look at it from different angles.

This tends to sometimes be true with "magnum" rated springers that get detuned. 

Most times it's because the shot cycle gets slowed down so much that lock time becomes long and piston bounce goes way up. These two things destroy accuracy in spring guns, and is what actually causes the mystical "hold sensitivity". 

Now you take that some gun and reduce the power by shortening the stroke of the piston, and it would likely be much more accurate and effortless to shoot.

This is how Air Arms ruined the TX200 for the UK market. They lengthened the stroke to make more power for export markets, and they shoot lazy and bouncy at sub 12 power. This led to short stroke kits, and smaller piston diameters to try and fix this. 

Just something to think about.