• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 pcp?

I live in Illinois and I guess to get anything above .177 u have to have a foid card.I let mine expire and sold my guns.the wife hates guns and I'm afraid if I get another foid card I'll end up with firearms again.my question is are .177 pcp accurate out to say 75 yards or are they not worth getting.I don't want to spend alot of money on something I won't enjoy. I do have a hatsan 95 springer.its mainly for target but I would like to shoot down range.thanks

"kirker23"I live in Illinois and I guess to get anything above .177 u have to have a foid card.I let mine expire and sold my guns.the wife hates guns and I'm afraid if I get another foid card I'll end up with firearms again.my question is are .177 pcp accurate out to say 75 yards or are they not worth getting.I don't want to spend alot of money on something I won't enjoy. I do have a hatsan 95 springer.its mainly for target but I would like to shoot down range.thanks
I recently acquired my first 177 PCP a Steyr LG-110 HP Hunting set at 18-20 ft lb. The factory target shows a ca 1/4 inch group at 50 meters at an INDOOR range. Unfortunately the 177 cal pellet is very adversely influenced by the wind and I was disappointed with the performance at 50 yards OUTDOORS with ca 3/4 - 1 inch groups depending on the wind. I purchased an extra LW barrel in 22 and those 22 cal pellets do a better job of bucking the wind. 
I would expect 75 yards to be as far as you could expect any meaningful shot consistency outdoors. I have not tried to use my 177 beyond 50 yards shooting outdoors. That being said 177 is a joy to shoot and many FT shooters use that caliber outdoors out to 55 yards shooting at kill zones in targets which may be less than an inch. You have to acquire the ability to judge the winds influence on the pellet's point of impact.

"Micbro"I live in the uk and I recently shot a sub 12 flb Daystste Airwolf in .177 at my local indoor range. I was hitting a one inch spinner at 75 yards over and over again with ease.
Unfortunately, most of us shoot outdoors and most don't have a 75 yard indoor range. When I use to have a .177 caliber rifle, I found it very difficult to shoot pass 35 yards in a windy environment. When I got a .22 caliber, I was blown away how much further I could accurately shoot. The same story when I got my .25. If I was limited to sub 12 foot-pounds, I would get a .177 but since I have the option, I would take a .25 over a .177

The first spring gun I bought was back in the early 1970's. It was a 177 FB-124. Would shoot it around the farm taking care of the starlings and pigeons. Shot quite a few out to 100 yards. As my son grew up he shot thousands of rounds thru it. Even on windy days you didn't want to bet against him hitting his target. I still have it and shot it in the EBR 25m this year. Point is they will shoot 100 yard no problem, but the lighter the cal the more it's affected by the wind. The next PCP I buy will be in 177. 

Illinois Is that in the United States, And you have to have a foid card? What the hell is that,
I am sorry, are they restricting your right to buy a pellet gun???? 
Please excuse my stupidly,
I think I am miss understanding something here,
This is the USA , WE have the right to bare arms,
Something is not right, Get with the NRA, start writing your Illinois government people,
Move to Texas,
I am sure I missed something, I must be stupid.
Mike

"iride" Illinois Is that in the United States, And you have to have a foid card? What the hell is that,
I am sorry, are they restricting your right to buy a pellet gun???? 
Please excuse my stupidly,
I think I am miss understanding something here,
This is the USA , WE have the right to bare arms,
Something is not right, Get with the NRA, start writing your Illinois government people,
Move to Texas,
I am sure I missed something, I must be stupid.
Mike
The stupdity isn't on your part, it is on the part of our state lawmakers. FOID is Firearm Owners ID, a state requirement in IL for anyone who owns a gun. "Gun" includes air arm over .18 caliber and/or 700fps. Muzzleloaders are also included. Believe it or not, it used to be worse. Up until about two years ago, even .177 capable of 700fps+ required FOID! I believe airgun ownership in Chicago is still even further restricted so that even spitwads are illegal. A painful result of this overbearing litigation is that large outlets like WalMart and Crosman (yes Crosman!!!) will not even ship an airgun to IL because, apparently, they think all of IL is Chicago. Come to think of it, so do the politicians. 
Actually, with Walmart it's hit and miss. Fort example, I bought my Crosman Challenger PCP rifle from them a couple years ago, online, and it was shipped to my door. But at the same time they would not allow me to order the Benjamin pump or have it shipped to the store, I had to buy it elsewhere. It's really, really stupid.

End of explana-rant. 

Back to original topic, .177 is plenty accurate, just ask the Olympic shooters. I would suggest that if you're just going to murder soda cans with it, avoid the magnum springers common in the big box stores, and stick with a mid-pwer springer 12-16fpe. You will find it much easier and enjoyable to shoot, and it's still capable of small game harvesting if you need to. And the rifle won't be as hard on scopes.

If you want the most power you can get out of .177 for whatever reason, I suggest you seriously consider getting a PCP, even if you use a pump to fill it. A .177 Benjamin Discovery and pump can be had for about $360 if you shop a bit. I would really recommend looking at a used/refurb .177 Marauder, you will get more shot count and the mods you will want to make on the Discovery will already be done. If you live close to 62016 maybe we can set up a meet and you can shoot mine.

I should add that if you opt for the Benjamin Discovery, its lower fill pressure means that you can also use an inexpensive scuba tank, generally available for about the price of a new pump. You can use the scuba tank with the Marauder, but after the first few times you won't get a full fill on your gun so your shot count is reduced. But for target shooting, it still beats pumping! :)