• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

177 or 22 Best ?

For the most part it is because of scoring. The sport uses a .22 plug to decide close shots. With shooting a .177 you have the advantage of getting the higher score when plugged with the .22. Also there are more choices for .177 pellets to work out which shoots best in your particular gun. Also ditch what you know about firearm ballistics because pellets act completely different in flight than pb round. Also please do test for yourself which is more accurate for you.

"John_in_Ma"For the most part it is because of scoring. The sport uses a .22 plug to decide close shots. With shooting a .177 you have the advantage of getting the higher score when plugged with the .22. Also there are more choices for .177 pellets to work out which shoots best in your particular gun. Also ditch what you know about firearm ballistics because pellets act completely different in flight than pb round. Also please do test for yourself which is more accurate for you.
John sorry but this is a common misconception. In benchrest both 22 and 177 are scored with a plug having an outer diameter of 0.224". So no matter 22 or 177, the edge of the plug is still 0.114" from the center of POI - and you would get the same score for either caliber based on how far the POI center is away from the center of the 10 ring.

There would be an advantage for 22 if the same plug were not used and scoring based on the edge of the (larger) hole.

I have both 22 and 177 RAWs that have been used in benchrest competition. The 177 scores higher than the 22 even though with less power (HV vs Open class). Not sure why - maybe BC is better for 177, maybe the barrel is better. Most of the competitors at the range shoot 177 no matter what power class.

Then there's the power limits for the classes. With the 12fpe of LV nobody is going to shoot a .22. One could use the 13 gr .22 pellets in HV instead of the 13gr .177 pellets, but I'm pretty sure the BC of the monsters is way better than the RS 13gr .22. Is that the reason for the scoring difference? I don't know. 
One other reason might just be that the 13gr .177 monsters just happen to shoot really really well out of the LW Poly barrels. So, why wouldn't we use them!!

"Greisdor"My 177 RAW shoots very well but I am thinking it is not as good in the wind as a well matched 22 would be..... Then there is the 20 cal to try as well.
Has as anyone put the time into it — ?
I have - as mentioned. My 177 scores consistently higher than my 22 (both RAW).

That said, in the same wind hold-off for the 22 open class is less that for the 177.