• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 is the new, .177

So is .177 just the new .177 or will slugs change everything.

Picture this, 20 grain .177 slug out of a 45 ft-lbf rifle for 1000fps (or thereabouts) ,

Any need for more regards taking down what 10 years or so ago would have been seen as fair game for airguns.

Or for putting tiny .177 sized holes in paper at 100 Yards (or Meters).*

Thoughts?.

thank you.

edit, * for fun, until the rules change.

Picture this, 20 grain .177 slug out of a 45 ft-lb rifle for 1000fps (or thereabouts)

Missing in this statement "Perhaps" is the lack of understanding a 45 ft lb rifle in ANY other caliber IS NOT even remotely the same power in the little .177 !!

Area the pressure has to work against is greatly reduced in .17 & to get a 20 grainer to 1000 fps is NO EASY TASK and very few PCP's I know of are up to that task.

Personally have some Bad ass PCP's of which the highest power ones utilize Balanced valves and have huge porting.

One such rifle which has .177 / .22 / .25 & .30 cal barrels that fit it and been tested on a base line setting running at @ 2400 psi break down like this.

.30 cal w/ 44.75 grain makes @ 84 ft lbs

.25 cal w/ 33.95 grain makes @ 61 ft lbs

.22 cal w/ 23 grain makes @ 53 ft lbs

.177 cal with 15 grain makes @ 37 ft lbs

This on equal tuning specs and in the little .177 there is a little left, but not worth it because of excessive air use. To get more power would require higher pressure at or above 3K to even start getting close to moving a 20 grain at 1K

While specialty guns & heavy modified could do it ..... it is a fair and semi disputable fact the mass majority of .177's can't even get close to that figure !!

Nothing personal here .. just keeping it real.

Scott S

Picture this, 20 grain .177 slug out of a 45 ft-lb rifle for 1000fps (or thereabouts)

Missing in this statement "Perhaps" is the lack of understanding a 45 ft lb rifle in ANY other caliber IS NOT even remotely the same power in the little .177 !!

Area the pressure has to work against is greatly reduced in .17 & to get a 20 grainer to 1000 fps is NO EASY TASK and very few PCP's I know of are up to that task.

Personally have some Bad ass PCP's of which the highest power ones utilize Balanced valves and have huge porting.

One such rifle which has .177 / .22 / .25 & .30 cal barrels that fit it and been tested on a base line setting running at @ 2400 psi break down like this.

This on equal tuning specs and in the little .177 there is a little left, but not worth it because of excessive air use. To get more power would require higher pressure at or above 3K to even start getting close to moving a 20 grain at 1K

While specialty guns & heavy modified could do it ..... it is a fair and semi disputable fact the mass majority of .177's can't even get close to that figure !!

Scott S

All absolutely true-if you need more than 37 ft lbs. Many don't.

Scott S

It's actually very easy to do! you take a Redwolf .30 SAFARI and the barrel from a Redwolf 30FPE .177 HP (Or Wolverine .177 HP they are the same) 14mm shank with 3.2mm TP, you fit the .177 barrel and a .177 probe, insert 18g Nielsen Slug and hey presto you have a laser doing 43FPE on the HP curve, or less if you go mid or low power.

Granted it's not cheap but it works wonderfully!

Scott S

It's actually very easy to do! you take a Redwolf .30 SAFARI and the barrel from a Redwolf 30FPE .177 HP (Or Wolverine .177 HP they are the same) 14mm shank with 3.2mm TP, you fit the .177 barrel and a .177 probe, insert 18g Nielsen Slug and hey presto you have a laser doing 43FPE on the HP curve, or less if you go mid or low power.

Granted it's not cheap but it works wonderfully!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really, really easy, I see!😱

"are they not going to discontinue it sometime? i dont know anyone who has 177 except benjamin 760"

Absolutely not. I would bet more .177 pellets are sold world wide than any other caliber. My last purchase was a .177 pcp and I love it. My go to plinking rifle is a .177. I do all my pesting around the house and in the barns at the farm with .177.

With NSAs .177 slugs, if they workout as accurate as I'm hoping for I plan on going to .177 strictly. Right now only use .22 mainly pellets. Slugs for 50-100yds and pellets for out to 40.

They are extremely accurate in the Redwolf .177 LW POLY barrels, in fact they are the ONLY NIELSEN slug that I have tried that shot well in the RW LW barrels

I got a very rare Vulcan # 2 in 177, I did not much care for it at first , Than I cranked it up to 920 FPS with the 10 gr JSB pellets...

The gun jumped to the top of the heap, I rotate my guns three days each , But I find myself adding a day with the Vulcan...

Oh my back yard range is only 49 yards , So I do not do much long range shooting,,

If I had to pick only one caliber and only one I would go with a 22 caliber, But its nice having the 177 around...

I do think the 177 in the PCP world is making a comeback , Jusk ask the guys over the big pond.

Mike

Slugs have transformed many aspects of our sport. I have personally seen the greatest advantage of slugs in .177 to be accuracy at 70+ out to 150ish. I found that terminal performance at the speeds I was shooting, 930ish, were not showing the slugs to be a pesting game changer.

So this is my logic... The slugs I was shooting showed great penetration but little to no expansion at velocities they retained at 70+ They remained very stable and accurate at extended ranges and clearly penetration capability to mark targets. But the terminal performance did not prove reliable enough to actually use the slugs at the ranges they remain accurate. This makes me think that for me pellets still make sense.

The new NSA slugs appear to have a deeper cavity. You can take it to the bank that I too will be shooting and testing them😉 For now I use the .177 for 70 and in pesting and that covers about 90+% of my pesting which is why my .177 with HP pellets is the go to👊🏻