• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana 100 yards with a springer?

Yesterday's outing had a slight headwing of 5-10 MPH. I just got frustrated and gave up. Now I have more ideas to work on.
I think I need to get the velocity up a little after the rookie tune I recently did. The Bullseye mount will come off and I'll use the RWS droop mount I bought many years ago. The scope has a lifetime warranty.
My holdover is extreme at 75 as well. I've used two different scope setups. One that was zeroed at 30 yards had mill dots. So, using trial and error, I dialed the magnification until the top mildot was zeroed.
The critical addition to the challenge is scope cant, and this shooting situation exhibits it, because you can see the pellet go way up and fall right or left if the cant isn't perfect. A half inch of cant is one inch of miss.
If yoo hang targets on strings you can line the cross hair on the string, and you'll see a lot more hits.
The string alignment trick has even helped in the wind on occasion. The wind blows the hanging target over, and the string alignment causes a cant to compensate. Lol
It's been both fun, and frustrating.

I'm attempting this today. Winds are 5 MPH and nice weather.
I think this will be a one time thing as it is getting too expensive to get where I want to go. I have centerfires and rimfires that I really enjoy at longer distances.
Hector's tuner is $80 plus shipping and insurance. A new scope is out at least this year.

Quick Target shows I will need 14 MOA to get to 100 while currently zeroed at 25. I'll find out soon.

Update: Quick Target was off by a lot. LOL
After several shots adjusting from a 25 yard zero I was finally on target with the cross hairs then the scope blew out. The POI shifted from the cross hairs to the lowest hash mark. I thought that will work when the POI shifted again way below the hash mark. I gave up at that point and done with this experiment.
Bullseye mount will go back on with the original RWS 4X scope, bad scope will be sent back for repair and this rifle will be a nice backyard learning tool for my two youngest grandkids.

BTW I was able to achieve a five shot group just under 3 MOA using Crossman 14.3 pellets before the scope went bonkers.
IMG_3267.jpg

Three shots top right just over 1". I marked all the first round shots with a sharpie.

Last edited:
As Jeff mentioned, the Tuner from Hector Medina really helps. Same tuner as you see here on my D54 Pro.

Jeff got me moving on the 100-yard shooting. This was my first attempt. JTS 16gr with very slight breeze. It doesn’t take much of a breeze to take the skirted pellets off course. 3 in a 1/2” cluster, then the couple carried by the breeze. 4 within 1.25”, and the 5th making it 1.75” overall.

SWFA 12x and a Diana ZR compensated and accurized mount.

I like the idea of zeroing at 50.

Steve
View attachment 407484View attachment 407486
That’s a sweet looking rifle. I have a 10X SWFA on my 17HMR for $300 they have pretty good glass
and reticles.

A el'quick-o's 100y

R9 zeroed at 50y ,Talos @6x , 4dot hold over, cphp .177 ,3" bull, @dark 30..

View attachment 407255

Not great but shot cold just for the heck of it .. had to play between 4 dot or 3, 3-1/2 dot holdover. 4 seemed about best (???)

Ya I like 100y just can't get good day anymore
Do you use an athlon talos on an r9? Does it hold well and roughly how many rounds? I was going to use one but wasnt sure if it was robust enough

Do you use an athlon talos on an r9? Does it hold well and roughly how many rounds? I was going to use one but wasnt sure if it was robust enough
Ya when I do scope it either a athlon Talos 3-12 mill or a gamo package .

I shoot a lot when I do and it's took a pounding and had it a few years now .

So the Talos is tough and holds up no matter what springer used even a .22 gamo mach1 . I sent one in I bought as a display model cheap and athlon quick and easy took care of it and works as good as new today as well .. well pleased with the Talos on spring..

Reactions: bustachip